A review on the provenance discrimination of sediments in the Yellow Sea
Cited 249 time in
WEB OF SCIENCE
Cited 261 time in
- A review on the provenance discrimination of sediments in the Yellow Sea
- Yang, SY; Jung, HS; Lim, DI; Li, CX
- KIOST Author(s)
- Jung, Hoi Soo(정회수); Lim, Dhongil(임동일)
- The Yellow Sea has been extensively studied for the understanding of dispersal patterns and limits of sediments from neighboring countries including China and Korea. Although sedimentological, mineralogical, and geochemical approaches have been tried to solve the problems, especially including the identification of sediment sources in and around the Yellow Sea, the published results are not enough for understanding them. Suggestions on sediment origins, budgets, sediment accumulation rates, mineralogical, and geochemical compositions are not coincident to each other and sometimes even controversial; for example, conflicts on the distribution patterns of smectite and calcium carbonate, the provenance of the southeastern Yellow Sea mud and sedimentation rates in there, the ratios of V/Al and Mn/Al in Korea and China river sediments, the origin of Ba and Pb in sandy sediments of the northeastern Yellow Sea, and so on. Various geochemical indicators from the literature for the provenance discrimination in the Yellow Sea are reviewed here in depth, and corresponding discussions are described separately. Research topics for the future study, also, are suggested for the proper access to the understanding of the origin and dispersal patterns of the Yellow Sea sediments, especially focusing on the geochemical approaches. (C) 2003 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
- EARTH-SCIENCE REVIEWS, v.63, no.1-2, pp.93 - 120, 2003
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- EAST-CHINA-SEA; CONTINENTAL-SHELF; SURFACE SEDIMENTS; LATE QUATERNARY; RIVER SEDIMENT; PALEOENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES; ELEMENTAL COMPOSITION; CHEMICAL-COMPOSITION; CHANGJIANG YANGTZE; SUSPENDED MATTER
- provenance discrimination; Yellow Sea; sediment; geochemistry
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- Related Researcher
Marine Geochemistry,Paleoceanography,Marine Pollution,해양지화학,고해양학,해양오염학
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.