Identification of Ruditapes philippinarum and Meretrix lusoria larvae using single cell PCR analysis and microscopic observation
- Identification of Ruditapes philippinarum and Meretrix lusoria larvae using single cell PCR analysis and microscopic observation
- Jung, S.W.; Kim, C.-S.; Yoo, J.-W.; Kim, Y.-O.; Lee, J.H.; Hong, J.-S.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Jung, Seung Won(정승원); Kim, Young Ok(김영옥)
- Single cell PCR analysis and light and scanning electron microscopic techniques were utilized to identify free living bivalve larvae in the coastal waters of Tae-an, on the west coast of Korea. Through DNA sequencing, venerid clam larvae were isolated and identified as Ruditapes philippinarum (99% similarity) and Meretrix lusoria (99%). Under microscopic observation, the D-veliger stage of R. philippinarum exhibited symmetrical shoulder angles and an elliptical ventral form. In contrast, M. lusoria displayed asymmetrical shoulder angles and a round ventral form in the umbonal stage. Size of the R. philippinarum larvae was 156±22 μm in length, 126±12 μm in height, 92±14 μm in width with a length: height ratio of 1.23. Meretrix lusoria was 202±44 μm in length, 161±35 μm in height, 96±38 μm in width with a length: height ratio of 1.25. Experimental results indicate that morphological and molecular characteristics provide evidence for the larval identification of these two venerid clam larvae species in nature.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.32, no.3, pp.247 - 254, 2010
- bivalve; body shape; body size; coastal water; DNA; experimental study; genetic analysis; identification method; larva; morphology; observational method; polymerase chain reaction; scanning electron microscopy; South Chungcheong; South Korea; Taean; Bivalvia; Meretrix lusoria; Veneroida; Venerupis (Ruditapes) philippinarum
- Bivalve larvae; Meretrix lusoria; Microscopic observation; Ruditapes philippinarum; Single cell PCR
- Related Researcher
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.