Distribution of Nutrients and Phytoplankton Biomass in the Area Around the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
- Distribution of Nutrients and Phytoplankton Biomass in the Area Around the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
- Kim, D.; Kang, S.-H.; Kim, D.; Lee, Y.-H.; Kang, Y.-C.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Kim, Dongseon(김동선); Lee, Youn Ho(이윤호)
- 김동선; 강성호; 김동엽; 이윤호; 강영철
- Temperature, salinity, nutrients, chlorophyll-a, and primary production were measured within the upper 200 m water column in the area around the South Shetland Islands in January, 2000. Surface temperature was relatively high in the Drake Passage north of the South Shetland Islands and low in the northeastern area of the Antarctic Peninsula. In contrast, surface salinity was low in the Drake Passage and increased toward the Antarctic Peninsula, reaching the maximum value in the northeastern area of the Antarctic Peninsula. Surface nutrients were low in the Drake Passage and high in the area near the South Shetland Islands. Surface chlorophyll-a was also low in the Drake Passage and near the Antarctic Peninsula and high in the area of the northern King George Island. The study area could be classified as four geographical zones based on the characteristic shape of the T/S diagrams; the Drake Passage, the Bransfield Strait, the mixed zone, and the Weddell Sea. Each geographical zone showed apparently different physical, chemical, and biological characteristics. Phytoplankton biomass was relatively low in the Drake Passage and the Weddell Sea and high in the Bransfield Strait and the mixed zone. The low phytoplankton biomass in the Weddell Sea could be explained by the low water temperature and deep surface mixing down to 200 m. The high grazing pressure and low availability of iron could be responsible for the low phytoplankton biomass in the Drake Passage.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.23, no.2, pp.77 - 95, 2001
- Antarctica; Nutrients; Phytoplankton; South Shetland Islands
- Related Researcher
Marine Molecular Genetics,Marine Ecology and Evolution,해양분자유전,해양생태및진화
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.