Establishment of an operational oceanographic system for regional seas around Korea
- Establishment of an operational oceanographic system for regional seas around Korea
- Lee, D.-Y.; Park, K.-S.; Shi, J.
- An operational oceanographic system needs to be established for the preservation and management of marine environments and resources, and also to secure the safety and efficiency of marine operations in Korea. One of the major roles of operational oceanography is to deliver ocean science products which can meet the requirements of users such as marine industries, the general public, government agencies, and scientific research communities. Technical issues in relation to development of an effective operational oceanographic system in Korea are identified and discussed. Among others, cooperation among the agencies in ocean, meteorology, hydrology and environment, and also among those of neighboring countries is important for the development of an effective operational oceanographic system. The strategy for building a system that meets the demands of users, with consideration to potential problems, are explored.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.31, no.4, pp.361 - 368, 2009
- coastal protection; early warning system; oceanography; prediction; research and development; safety; Korea
- Ocean prediction; Ocean science R&D; Operational oceanography; Users demand
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.