Assessment of sediment contamination by persistent organic pollutants in Gyeonggi Bay, Korea
- Assessment of sediment contamination by persistent organic pollutants in Gyeonggi Bay, Korea
- Hong, S.H.; Kannan, N.; Yim, U.H.; Li, D.; Kim, M.; Shim, W.J.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Hong, Sang Hee(홍상희); Yim, Un Hyuk(임운혁); Kim, Moonkoo(김문구); Shim, Won Joon(심원준)
- Persistent organic pollutants were determined in 33 surface sediments from Gyeonggi Bay, Korea. The concentrations (ng/g dry weight-range, mean in brackets) of PCBs, DDTs and HCHs in sediments were 0. 16-41. 9 (2. 22), 0. 03-5. 17 (0. 67) and 0. 03-0. 88 (0. 29), respectively. Sum of 24 PAHs ranged from 6. 37 to 648 ng/g (111 ng/g). Tributyltin (TBT), dibutyltin (DBT) and monobutyltin (MBT) were detected in 10, 3 and 31 out of 33 stations surveyed. TBT, DBT, and MBT were in the range of non detectable (n. d.)-122 ng Sn/g, n. d.-84 ng Sn/g, and n. d.-41 ng Sn/g respectively. t-octylphenol, nonylphenol and bisphenol-A were in range of 0. 1-15. 4 ng/g, 3-1070 ng/g and 0. 2-15. 9 ng/g, respectively. These levels are lower than in other Korean bays. Station K8, located close to a wastewater reservoir showed the highest concentration. Molecular tracers such as nonylphenol, t-octylphenol, bisphenol-A, indicated that PCBs and PAHs entered the bay through sewage discharge, while butyltins, DDTs and HCHs entered either through atmospheric depositions or from shipping activities. According to international sediment quality guidelines, the noted concentrations may not impact benthic life. © 2009 The Korean Society of Environmental Risk Assessment and Health Science and Springer.
- Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences, v.1, no.1, pp.56 - 63, 2009
- Alkylphenols; Butyltins; Gyeonggi Bay; Korea; Organochlorine pesticides; PAHs; PCBs; Sediment
- Related Researcher
Microplastic pollution,Persistent Organic Pollutants,Oil Pollution,미세플라스틱 오염,잔류성 유기오염물질,유류오염
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.