Review of video imaging technology in coastal wave observations and suggestion for its applications
- Review of video imaging technology in coastal wave observations and suggestion for its applications
- Lee, D.-Y.; Yoo, J.; Park, K.-S.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Yoo, Je Seon(유제선)
- The wave observation system in Korea has been established with an emphasis on point-measurement based on in situ instrumentations. However, the system cannot fully investigate the coastal wave-related problems that are significantly localized and intensified with three-dimensional regional geometries. Observation technique that can cover local processes with large time and spatial variation needs to be established. Video imaging techniques that can provide continuous monitoring of coastal waves and related phenomena with high spatial and temporal resolutions at minimum cost of instrumentation risks are reviewed together with present status of implementation in Korea. Practical applications of the video imaging techniques are suggested to tackle with various coastal issues of public concern in Korea including, real-time monitoring of wave runup and overtopping of swells on the east coast of Korea, longshore and rip currents, morphological and bathymetric changes, storm surge and tsunami inundation, and abnormal extreme waves in the west coast of Korea, etc.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.31, no.4, pp.415 - 422, 2009
- Coastal disaster prevention; Local wave observation; Nearshore process; Video imaging
- Related Researcher
Coastal disaster observation and prediction,Coastal numerical modeling,Coastal remote sensing,연안침식 등 연안재해 관측 및 예측,연안 파랑 및 해수유동 수치모델링,연안 원격탐사
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.