Effect of water temperature and photoperiod on the oxygen consumption rate of juvenile Pacific cod Gadus macrocephalus
- Effect of water temperature and photoperiod on the oxygen consumption rate of juvenile Pacific cod Gadus macrocephalus
- Oh, S.-Y.; Park, H.-S.; Kim, C.-K.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Oh, Sung Yong(오승용); Park, Heung Sik(박흥식)
- A study was conducted to investigate the effect of water temperature and photoperiod on the oxygen consumption of the fasting juvenile Pacific cod Gadus macrocephalus (mean body weight 79.9± 2.0 g) in order to quantify metabolic response of the species under given conditions. The oxygen consumption rate (OCR) of G. macrocephalus was measured under a combination of four different water temperatures (7, 10, 13 and 16°C) and three different photoperiods (24L:0D, 12L:12D and 0L:24D) with an interval of 5 minutes over a 24-hour period using a closed recirculating respirometer. Three replicates were set up in each treatment. OCRs increased with increased water temperatures under all photoperiod conditions (P<0.001). Mean OCRs at 7, 10, 13 and 16°C ranged from 793.7~1108.4, 1145.7~1570.3, 1352.8~1742.5 and 1458.2~1818.6 mg O2 kg-1 h-1, respectively. Under all water temperature conditions except 7°C (P<0.001), mean OCRs of G. macrocephalus were the highest in continuous light (24L:0D) followed by 12L:12D and 0L:24D photoperiods. Mean OCRs of fish exposed to the 12L:12D photoperiod were significantly higher during the light phase than during the dark phase under all temperature conditions (P<0.001). Q10 values ranged from 3.19~5.13 between 7 and 10°C, 1.41~1.74 between 10 and 13°C and 1.15~1.35 between 13 and 16°C, respectively. Based on overall results, water temperature, photoperiod and their combinations exerted a significant influence on the metabolic rate of juvenile cod. This study provides empirical data for estimating the amount of oxygen demand and managing the culture of cod under the given water temperatures and photoperiods.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.32, no.3, pp.229 - 236, 2010
- estimation method; gadoid; juvenile; metabolism; oxygen; photoperiod; temperature effect; water temperature; Gadus macrocephalus
- Gadus macrocephalus; Oxygen consumption; Photoperiod; Water temperature
- Related Researcher
Marine ecology,Marine biology,Marine living resources,해양생태,해양생물 생리,해양생물자원
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.