Observation of water property variations in the western channel of the Korea strait during 2006-2010
- Observation of water property variations in the western channel of the Korea strait during 2006-2010
- Min, H.S.; Park, J.H.; Choi, A.-R.; Park, Y.-G.; Shin, K.; Jang, P.-G.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Park, Young Gyu(박영규); Shin, Kyoungsoon(신경순); Jang, Pung Guk(장풍국)
- 민홍식; 박재훈; 최아라; 박영규; 신경순; 장풍국
- Seasonal to inter-annual variations of water properties in the western channel of the Korea Strait are investigated using quasi-monthly hydrographic observations collected during 2006-2010. Weak vertical temperature and salinity gradients are observed during the winter months and these remain until May. At the upper layer, temperature increases from March and reaches a maximum in August, while salinity decreases during the same period. Near-bottom water shows low temperatures during late winter and fall with a minimum peak in September. Korea Strait Bottom Cold Water produces thick layers (>20 m) in 2006 and 2010, while it is observed very near the bottom with relatively high temperature in 2008 and 2009.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.33, no.3, pp.325 - 336, 2011
- annual variation; bottom water; cold water; hydrographic survey; observational method; salinity; seasonal variation; temperature gradient; water temperature; Korea Strait
- Hydrographic observation; Interannual; Korea strait; Korea strait bottom cold water; Variation; Western channel
- Related Researcher
ocean circulation,ocean mixing,marine debris,해양순환,해양혼합,해양부유물
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.