Fabrication of Polymerase Chain Reaction Plastic Lab-on-a-Chip Device for Rapid Molecular Diagnoses
Cited 15 time in
WEB OF SCIENCE
Cited 18 time in
- Fabrication of Polymerase Chain Reaction Plastic Lab-on-a-Chip Device for Rapid Molecular Diagnoses
- Trinh, Kieu The Loan; Zhang, Hainan; Kang, Dong-Jin; Kahng, Sung-Hyun; Tall, Ben D.; Lee, Nae Yoon
- KIOST Author(s)
- Kang, Dong Jin(강동진)
- Purpose: We aim to fabricate a thermoplastic poly(methylmethacrylate) (PMMA) Lab-on-a-Chip device to perform continuous- flow polymerase chain reactions (PCRs) for rapid molecular detection of foodborne pathogen bacteria. Methods: A miniaturized plastic device was fabricated by utilizing PMMA substrates mediated by poly(dimethylsiloxane) interfacial coating, enabling bonding under mild conditions, and thus avoiding the deformation or collapse of microchannels. Surface characterizations were carried out and bond strength was measured. The feasibility of the Lab-on-a-Chip device for performing on-chip PCR utilizing a lab-made, portable dual heater was evaluated. The results were compared with those obtained using a commercially available thermal cycler. Results: A PMMA Lab-on-a-Chip device was designed and fabricated for conducting PCR using foodborne pathogens as sample targets. A robust bond was established between the PMMA substrates, which is essential for performing miniaturized PCR on plastic. The feasibility of on-chip PCR was evaluated using Escherichia coli O157: H7 and Cronobacter condimenti, two worldwide foodborne pathogens, and the target amplicons were successfully amplified within 25 minutes. Conclusions: In this study, we present a novel design of a low-cost and high-throughput thermoplastic PMMA Lab-on-aChip device for conducting microscale PCR, and we enable rapid molecular diagnoses of two important foodborne pathogens in minute resolution using this device. In this regard, the introduced highly portable system design has the potential to enable PCR investigations of many diseases quickly and accurately.
- INTERNATIONAL NEUROUROLOGY JOURNAL, v.20, pp.S38 - S48, 2016
- KOREAN CONTINENCE SOC
- Plastics; Poly(methylmethacrylate); Lab-on-a-Chip Devices; Polymerase Chain Reaction; Diagnosis
- KOREAN CONTINENCE SOC
- Related Researcher
Chemical Oceanography,Dissolved Gas in seawater,Development of Instruments,화학해양학,해수용존기체,관측장비개발
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.