Evaluation of upper ocean temperature and mixed layer depth in an eddy-permitting global ocean general circulation model
- Evaluation of upper ocean temperature and mixed layer depth in an eddy-permitting global ocean general circulation model
- Jong, C.J.; Min, H.S.; Kim, C.-H.; Kang, S.K.; Lie, H.-J.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Jang, Chan Joo(장찬주)
- We investigated seasonal variations of the upper ocean temperature and the mixed layer depth (MLD) in an eddy-permitting global ocean general circulation model (OGCM) to assess the OGCM performance. The OGCM is based on the GFDL MOM3 which has a horizontal resolution of 0.5 degree and 30 vertical levels. The OGCM was integrated for 68 years using a monthly-mean climatological wind stress forcing. The model sea surface temperature (SST) and sea surface salinity were restored to the Levitus climatology with a time scale of 30 days. Annual-mean model SST shows a cold bias (<-2°C) in the summer hemisphere and a warm bias (>1°C) in the winter hemisphere mainly due to the restoring boundary condition of temperature. The model MLD captures well the observed features in most areas, with a slightly deep bias. However, in the Ross Sea and Weddell Sea, the model shows significantly deeper MLD than the climatology - mainly due to weak salinity stratifications in the model. For amplitude of seasonal variation, the model SST is smaller (1∼3°C) than the observation largely due to the restoring surface boundary condition, while the model MLD has larger seasonal variation (∼50 m). It is suggested that for more realistic simulation of the upper ocean structure in the present eddy-permitting ocean model, more refinements in the surface boundary condition for the thermohaline forcing and parameterization for vertical mixing are required, together with the incorporation of a sea-ice model.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.28, no.3, pp.245 - 258, 2006
- climatology; eddy; global ocean; mixed layer; oceanic general circulation model; sea surface salinity; sea surface temperature; seasonal variation; stratification; water depth; wind stress
- Eddy-permitting OGCM; MLD; Seasonal variation; SST
- Related Researcher
upper ocean dynamics,regional climate modeling,ocean climate change,해양상층역학,지역기후모델링,해양기후변화
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.