Latitudinal distribution of mesozooplankton community in the Northwestern Pacific Ocean
- Latitudinal distribution of mesozooplankton community in the Northwestern Pacific Ocean
- Lee, C.-R.; Kang, H.-K.; Choinational, K.-H.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Kang, Hyung Ku(강형구)
- We investigated latitudinal changes in mesozooplankton community structure during a cruise between October 16 and November 30 of 2007 from four distinctive regions in the northwestern Pacific Ocean: Warm pool area (longitude 135° line), Philippine EEZ (PEEZ), Japan EEZ (JEEZ), and East China Sea (ECS). Major taxa of numerical importance were Clausocalanidae (Clausocalanus spp.), Oncaeidae (Oncaea spp.), and Oithonidae (Oithona spp.) in oligotrophic regions, however Paracalanidae (Paracalanus spp.) was the most abundant group in the ECS. Mesozooplankton size group of <1 mm dominated in PEEZ and WP (48% and 56%, respectively), but mesozooplankton (>1 mm) were of importance in the JEEZ and ECS (34% and 38%, respectively). Mesozooplankton biomass and abundance were high in the JEEZ and ECS, and low in the oligotrophic WP and PEEZ waters, with positive relationship with both total Chl-a and heterotrophic protist biomass. Latitudinal change in mesozooplankton community structure was related with water temperature, with copepods such as Lucicutia spp. and Pleuromamma spp. being present only in warm waters. The geographical expansion of mesozooplankton with a preference for warmer waters could potentially be useful as an indicator for detecting ocean warming.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.33, no.3, pp.337 - 347, 2011
- abundance; bioindicator; biomass; chlorophyll a; community structure; latitudinal gradient; oligotrophic environment; size distribution; spatial distribution; warm pool; warming; water temperature; zooplankton; Pacific Ocean; Pacific Ocean (Northwest); Clausocalanidae; Clausocalanus; Copepoda; Lucicutia; Oithona; Oithonidae; Oncaea; Oncaeidae; Paracalanidae; Paracalanus; Pleuromamma; Protista
- Distribution; Latitudinal; Mesozooplankton community; Northwestern pacific ocean; Size-fractionated mesozooplankton biomass
- Related Researcher
Zooplankton ecology,Zooplankton production,Zooplankton physiology,동물플랑크톤 생태,동물플랑크톤 생산력,동물플랑크톤 생리
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.