Tracing origins of sewage and organic matter using dissolved sterols in Masan and Haengam Bay, Korea
- Tracing origins of sewage and organic matter using dissolved sterols in Masan and Haengam Bay, Korea
- Lee, H.J.; Hong, S.H.; Kim, M.; Ha, S.Y.; An, S.M.; Shim, W.J.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Hong, Sang Hee(홍상희); Kim, Moon Koo(김문구); Ha, Sung Yong(하성용); Shim, Won Joon(심원준)
- Masan and Haengam Bays in Korea are highly polluted and semi-enclosed. Domestic and industrial effluents are directly or indirectly discharged into the bays through sewage treatment plants (STP) and creeks. In this study, 15 dissolved sterol compounds were determined in order to understand their sources and relative contribution. Freshwater samples were taken from 13 creeks and at two STP sites on a monthly basis. Total dissolved sterol concentrations ranged from 993 to 4158 ng/L. The concentrations of sterols in winter were higher than in summer. Among the sterols analyzed, cholesterol, β-sitosterol, coprostanol and cholestanone were major compounds in creek water. Seawater samples were concurrently collected at 21 stations in Masan Bay. Total sterol concentrations ranged 118-6,956 ng/L. Inner bay showed high concentrations of sterols in summer, while outer bay showed high sterol concentrations in winter. Among the sterols, cholesterol, β-sitosterol and brassicasterol were major compounds in seawater. In order to examine the contribution of urban sewage, the concentration of coprostanol and fecal sterol ratios were calculated. Most of the creek water, inner bay and near STP outlet samples were affected by sewage. Terrestrial organic matters accounted for a high proportion of dissolved organic matter origin. Fecal origins were relatively high in the inner bay areas and in the STP outlet, while sterols of marine origin were high in the outer bay areas. © 2011 Korea Ocean Research & Development Institute (KORDI) and the Korean Society of Oceanography (KSO) and Springer Netherlands.
- Ocean Science Journal, v.46, no.2, pp.95 - 103, 2011
- bay; concentration (composition); dissolved organic matter; effluent; marine pollution; seawater; sewage; sterol; water quality; Masan Bay; South Korea; South Kyongsang
- coprostanol; dissolved sterol; Masan Bay; sewage; sterols
- Related Researcher
Microplastic pollution,Persistent Organic Pollutants,Oil Pollution,미세플라스틱 오염,잔류성 유기오염물질,유류오염
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.