Egg production rate of the copepod Calanus sinicus off the Korean coast of the Yellow Sea during spring
- Egg production rate of the copepod Calanus sinicus off the Korean coast of the Yellow Sea during spring
- Kang, H.-K.; Lee, C.-R.; Choi, K.-H.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Kang, Hyung Ku(강형구)
- The egg production rate (EPR) of Calanus sinicus was measured from March 2007 to April 2010 at three stations along the Korean coast of the Yellow Sea (in coastal waters off Saemangum, Yeongheungdo, and Asan Bay) to estimate in situ maximum egg production rate (MEPR) and to understand whether the females were limited in their growth or fecundity in the field. The mean EPR of C. sinicus at each sampling date ranged from 10. 3-34. 9 eggs female-1 d-1 (mean 23. 4 eggs female-1 d-1), and the EPR of individual copepods ranged from 0-81 eggs female-1 d-1. The mean EPR was positively correlated with the body weight of female copepods. The MEPR at each sampling date ranged from 40-81 eggs female-1 d-1 (mean 50. 4 eggs female-1 d-1). Over 84% of eggs spawned hatched successfully. The weight-specific growth rate (WSGR) ranged from 0. 038-0. 111 d-1 (mean 0. 082 d-1), indicating that 3. 8-11. 1% of the carbon in an adult female was produced daily as female growth. The WSGR was negatively correlated with water temperature. The ratio of mean EPR to observed mean MEPR ranged from 20-70% (mean 46%), indicating that ~54% of a female's growth might be limited in the field. We suggest that the ratio of observed EPR to mean MEPR of copepod can be applied to understand how the copepod responds to environmental changes, as well as EPR and hatching success. © 2011 Korea Ocean Research & Development Institute (KORDI) and the Korean Society of Oceanography (KSO) and Springer Netherlands.
- Ocean Science Journal, v.46, no.3, pp.133 - 143, 2011
- crustacean; egg production; environmental change; growth rate; hatching; water temperature; Pacific Ocean; Yellow Sea; Calanus sinicus; Copepoda
- Calanus sinicus; Copepod; egg production rate; hatching success; maximum egg production rate; weight-specific growth rate
- Related Researcher
Zooplankton ecology,Zooplankton production,Zooplankton physiology,동물플랑크톤 생태,동물플랑크톤 생산력,동물플랑크톤 생리
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.