TIPEX (Tropical Indo-Pacific water transport and ecosystem monitoring EXperiment) program
- TIPEX (Tropical Indo-Pacific water transport and ecosystem monitoring EXperiment) program
- Jeon, D.; Kim, E.; Shin, C.W.; Kim, C.-H.; Kug, J.S.; Lee, J.H.; Lee, Y.-H.; Kim, S.H.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Jeon, Dongchull(전동철); Kim, Eung(김응); Shin, Chang Woong(신창웅); Lee, Jae Hak(이재학); Lee, Youn Ho(이윤호); Kim, Suk Hyun(김석현)
- 전동철; 김응; 신창웅; 김철호; 국종성; 이재학; 이윤호; 김석현
- One of the factors influencing the climate around Korea is the oceanic-atmospheric variability in the tropical region between the eastern Indian and the western Pacific Oceans. Lack of knowledge about the air-sea interaction in the tropical Indo-Pacific region continues to make it problematic forecasting the ocean climate in the East Asia. The 'Tropical Indo-Pacific water transport and ecosystem monitoring EXperiment (TIPEX)' is a program for monitoring the ocean circulation variability between Pacific and Indian Oceans and for improving the accuracy of future climate forecasting. The main goal of the TIPEX program is to quantify the climate and ocean circulation change between the Indian and the Pacific Oceans. The contents of the program are 1) to observe the mixing process of different water masses and water transport in the eastern Indian and the western Pacific, 2) to understand the large-scale oceanic-climatic variation including El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO)/Warm Pool/Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO)/Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD), and 3) to monitor the biogeochemical processes, material flux, and biological changes due to the climate change. In order to effectively carry out the monitoring program, close international cooperation and the proper co-work sharing of tasks between China, Japan, Indonesia, and India as well as USA is required.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.35, no.3, pp.259 - 272, 2013
- air-sea interaction; atmosphere-ocean system; climate change; climate prediction; El Nino-Southern Oscillation; oceanic circulation; oceanic current; Pacific Decadal Oscillation; water mass; Indian Ocean; Korea; Pacific Ocean
- Climate change; Indonesian Through-flow (ITF); TIPEX; Tropical Indo-Pacific Ocean
- Related Researcher
Physical oceanography,Marine security,Marine safety,해양물리,해양방위,해양안전
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.