Long-term outlook and implications of the marine biotechnology market in Korea and abroad
- Long-term outlook and implications of the marine biotechnology market in Korea and abroad
- Jang, D.; Kang, G.; Chae, G.-Y.; Kim, S.-J.; Jo, M.-J.; Cha, J.-M.; Ham, H.-K.
- KIOST Author(s)
- Jang, Duck Hee(장덕희); Kang, Gil Mo(강길모); Chae, Gi Young(채기영)
- The marine biotechnology industry is very significant as compared to other industries as one of the driving forces for economic growth in the next generation in Korea. However, the marine biotechnology market has been considered as a component of the biotechnology industry market which made difficult for creating separate research areas in relation to the scope of the relevant industry market as well as making it difficult to establish its own R&D policy strategies. Accordingly, this study was executed to estimate the future long-term market value of the marine biotechnology within the limit of industrial field and to verify the importance of national R&D investment in marine biotechnology on the basis of estimations within the industrial perspective. To this end, we classified the marine biotechnology industry into the four sub-sectors and estimated the domestic and global industrial market in 2010 and 2024. According to the results, the domestic and global market of the marine biotechnology industry will see a remarkable growth by 2024. In particular, the bio-energy, pharmaceutical and functional foods industry markets will achieve astonishing advances. On the basis of the analysis results, Korea has to establish more progressive and aggressive R&D investment strategies to strengthen national competitiveness through the marine biotechnology industry.
- Ocean and Polar Research, v.35, no.2, pp.93 - 105, 2013
- biotechnology; economic growth; industrial development; industrial performance; marine technology; research and development; strategic approach; Korea
- Estimate the future value; Global industry market; Marine biotechnology; Marine biotechnology industry market; R&d investment strategies
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.