세계 주요 해양연구기관과의 비교 분석을 통한 시사점 도출
- 세계 주요 해양연구기관과의 비교 분석을 통한 시사점 도출
- A Comparative Study of the World’s Major Marine Research Institutions and Implications
- 장덕희; 한종엽; 강길모; 권기석; 서만덕; 도수관
- KIOST Author(s)
- Jang, Duck Hee(장덕희); Kang, Gil Mo(강길모)
- The purpose of this study is to evaluate the present condition ofKorea's marine research institutes based on a comparative analysis with majorinstitutions around the world, and to derive strategic directions for betterperformance from the results. By comparing Korea Institute of Ocean Science& Technology (KIOST) and National Fisheries Research and DevelopmentInstitute (NFRDI) with 8 world`s major institutes, we derived implications forthe improvement of marine research institutes in Korea. Performance factorswere categorized into input factors and output factors, and the z-score for each assessment indicator was used in the analysis. The results for output factors can be summarized as follows. First,Korea's institutes were poorly ranked both qualitatively and quantitatively interms of publications. However, they showed great promise for developmentas the rate of increase in the annual number of publications was higher thanoverseas institutes. Quantitative growth is essential to improve overallperformance in publications, and publications of higher quality should besought by considering CPP and IF. This can also be achieved by engagingin international research with outstanding researchers outside of Korea. In terms of patents, marine research institutes in Korea fared wellcompared to major institutions of oversea. This demonstrates that Korea'sresearch achievements have practical implications on related industries. Further efforts should be made to ensure that industries continue to benefitfrom research conducted by Korea's marine research institutes. As for infrastructure, Korea's institutes fell under the middle- orlower-rankings compared to major institutions. Since marine research reliesheavily of large-scale infrastructure, it is necessary to acquire more marineresearch vessels and unmanned submarines for the advancement of researchinstitutes in Korea.
- 해양정책연구, v.29, no.1, pp.153 - 183, 2014
- Marine Research Institutes; compared to overseas institutes; input output analysis; world-class institutes; research productivity
- Related Researcher
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in ScienceWatch@KIOST are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.